Bellingham Business Law Attorneys Serving Clients in Washington
Put our experience to work for your business
Reputation is everything in business. At Adelstein, Sharpe & Serka LLP, our exemplary reputation stems from our knowledgeable and dedicated staff of business law attorneys in Bellingham. With over 130 years of combined experience in the practice of law, our team of eight attorneys is committed to providing the highest quality of counsel and advocacy as well as the personal attention that our clients need and deserve.
Each Bellingham business law attorney at Adelstein, Sharpe & Serka LLP contributes unique skills and experience to the firm as a whole. Our clients know that, through our firm, they have access to a wide array of legal knowledge encompassing multiple areas of business and employment law. We invite you to learn more about Bellingham lawyers and how each contributes to the firm and allows us to provide a high level of service to our clients throughout Washington State.
Contact a reliable business law firm today
The firm of Adelstein, Sharpe & Serka LLP has been serving the legal needs of Washington State and lower British Columbia since 1974. Our legal team provides high-quality personal service for issues ranging from routine business law & litigation, to employment law, to estate planning and personal injury claims. From our offices in Bellingham, WA, we serve clients throughout Whatcom, Island, Skagit and San Juan counties as well as British Columbia, providing an alternative to the expensive and impersonal Seattle firms. Contact us today online or by calling 360.671.6565 to schedule a consultation.
The founding partner of Adelstein, Sharpe & Serka LLP, Steve Adelstein has practiced law in Washington State since 1974 and is AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®. As an experienced litigator and business law attorney in Bellingham, he focuses his practice on commercial and construction litigation and personal injury cases. He also handles estate planning and probate issues. He is dedicated to his community, serving on numerous local boards and committees and is also active in numerous professional organizations.
- Washington, 1974
- United States District Court for the Western District of Washington, 1974
- J.D., Gonzaga University School of Law
- B.S.P.S., Western Washington University
- Graduated with honors
- Washington State Trial Lawyers Association
- American Trial Lawyers
- Whatcom Volunteer Center
With a 36-year legal career to his credit, Phil Sharpe’s impressive resume includes serving as special counsel of the United States Senate Labor Committee and general counsel to United States Senator Brock Adams. Phil is AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® and was named a Super Lawyer by his peers in the 2000 Washington Law & Politics survey. In addition to his impressive legal practice, Phil is a member of the Whatcom Community College board of trustees, chaired a local school bond campaign and is a frequent fundraiser for several local causes and charities.
- Business law
- Real estate law
- Washington, 1976
- United States District Court for the Western District of Washington, 1976
Philip A. Serka
Philip Serka is an experienced attorney who has practiced since 1976. He currently focuses his work on business law, real estate and land use and has spoken at numerous state and local seminars on these subjects. He is a community leader who holds positions in numerous organizations, including the Arthritis Foundation, North Coast Credit Union and the Bellingham/Whatcom County Chamber of Commerce.
- Business law
- Real estate
- Land use
- Washington, 1976
- United States District Court of the Western District of Washington, 1976
Jeffrey P. Fairchild
Jeff Fairchild joined Adelstein, Sharpe & Serka LLP in 1993 following three years at Davis Wright Tremaine in Seattle. Jeff routinely consults with business clients on the entire range of personnel issues including policy drafting, best employment practices, terminations, reorganizations, union negotiations, noncompetition and trade secrets issues. Jeff has also successfully represented employers in litigation against claims of discrimination, wrongful termination, wage and hour violations and unfair labor practices. Jeff studied primate behavior at Duke University before attending Washington University School of Law in St. Louis. Jeff knows several entertaining card tricks and is a regular speaker on employment issues.
- Employment law
- Employment policy drafting
- Employment litigation defense
- Washington, 1989
- United States District Court for the Western District of Washington, 1989
Mitchell G. Faber
Mitch Faber is a Whatcom County native who returned to serve his community after graduating from Vanderbilt University School of Law. Mitch has been with the firm since 2001 and became a partner in 2009. Mitch focuses his practice on business and real estate transactions, going the extra mile to help his clients' business deals reach a successful conclusion. Mitch has extensive experience in business acquisitions of all types, large and small, complex and routine. His practice also includes forming corporations and other business entities, drafting and reviewing contracts, providing general corporate and business counseling, and drafting and reviewing real estate sale and lease agreements. He is committed to his community and active in his church and local school district.
Mitch has assisted clients in a wide variety of transactions including:
- Serving as lead counsel in the sale of a large manufacturing and distributing business with operations in three countries. This transaction, which took place over the course of about one year, gave Mitch valuable experience in working with and managing counsel in other countries as well as organizing and negotiating a highly complex transaction.
- Assisting a local family in a multimillion dollar sale of their long-time family business and securing key roles for the younger generation to continue to manage the business for the buyer.
- Assisting a local physician group to purchase and construct a new medical office building and to lease out excess space to long-term tenants.
- Supporting a young group of entrepreneurs in the set up of their business organization and offering ongoing assistance in a variety of ways to provide a helping hand as the company grew to a five million dollar company within two years. This included the opportunity to guide the partners in the negotiation and drafting of a shareholder agreement to provide order and structure to their dealings with each other as their business continues to grow.
- Washington, 2001
- J.D., Vanderbilt University School of Law, 2001
- B.A., University of Washington, 1998
- Washington State Bar Association
- Whatcom County Bar Association
Areas of practice
- Business purchases and sales
- Real estate transactions and leasing
- Corporate and business counseling
- Contract formation and negotiation
Primary counties of practice
- Whatcom County
- Skagit County
- San Juan County
- Island County
- Snohomish County
- King County
- Mount Baker Rotary Club - Director and Member
- Third Christian Reformed Church - Past Council Member and Current Member
- Lynden Christian High School - Volunteer Football Coach
Ivan M. Stoner
A Bellingham native and Sehome High School graduate, Ivan joined the firm as an associate attorney in 2010. His practice focuses on commercial litigation. During law school, Ivan was a managing editor of the Washington Law Review and won awards at several local and national moot court competitions, including overall honors and awards for best speaker and best brief. Ivan also worked as a judicial extern for the Honorable Thomas S. Zilly at the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington. Before law school, Ivan worked to restore salmon runs in Whatcom County with the Nooksack Salmon Enhancement Association.
- Commercial litigation
- Employment litigation defense
- University of Washington, J.D. with honors, 2010
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A. cum laude, 2003
- Washington, 2010
- United States District Court for the Western District of Washington, 2011
- Leading a Judge to Water: In Search of a More Fully Formed Washington Public Trust Doctrine, 85 Wash. L. Rev. 391 (2010)
Ian P. McCurdy
Ian is a Pacific Northwest native and joined Adelstein, Sharpe & Serka as an associate attorney in 2015. He concentrates primarily on employment litigation and employer advising. Before joining the firm, Ian was a judicial clerk for Snohomish County Superior Court judge David A. Kurtz. During law school, Ian was a senior editor of the Journal of Environmental Law and Litigation and participated in moot court at the national level. Ian is active in the Bellingham Mountaineers, the Bellingham Masters Swim Club, and is a member of the Whatcom County Bicycle/Pedestrian Advisory Committee.
- Employment Law
- Employment Litigation Defense
- J.D., University of Oregon School of Law, 2012
- B.A., Occidental College, 2007
- Washington, 2012
James T. Hulbert
A Bellingham native and Sehome High School graduate, Jim joined the firm as an associate attorney in 2016. His practice focuses on commercial litigation. After admission to the bar in 1998, Jim worked at the Whatcom County Prosecuting Attorney’s office for 18 years, where he prosecuted serious adult felonies. An experienced litigator, Jim taught trial advocacy skills at a statewide conference of the Washington Association of Prosecuting Attorneys in 2014, and argued before the Washington Supreme Court in 2003. Jim is active in the community, belonging to the Greater Bellingham Running Club, and frequently coaching youth sports teams.
- Commercial litigation
- Employment defense litigation
- Land use/real estate
- Tulane University, J.D. cum laude, 1997
- Whitman College B.A. 1994
- Washington, 1997